.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Dilettante's Diary: the internal dialogue of a hedonist bluestocking.

I am a dilettante. I know quite a bit about a lot of things, but I don't know enough to be an expert on anything. I have a very sensual, hedonistic nature, but I am also a thinker, and I aim one day to be worthy of the label 'bluestocking', despite its pejorative connotations.

This is my journal, which, delightfully enough, doesn't have to go wherever I go, but is accessible from nearly everywhere I am.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Surrender

Any real change implies the breakup of the world as one has already known it. The loss of all that gave one identity, the end of safety. And at such a moment, unable to see and not daring to imagine what the future will now bring forth, one clings to what one knew or thought one knew; to what one possessed, or dreamed one possessed. Yet it is only when persons are able, without bitterness or self-pity, to surrender a dream they have long cherished or a priviledge they have long possessed that they are set free. They have set themselves free for higher dreams, for greater privileges. All people have gone through this; go through it, each according to their own degrees, throughout their lives. It is one of the irreducible facts of life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home