.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Dilettante's Diary: the internal dialogue of a hedonist bluestocking.

I am a dilettante. I know quite a bit about a lot of things, but I don't know enough to be an expert on anything. I have a very sensual, hedonistic nature, but I am also a thinker, and I aim one day to be worthy of the label 'bluestocking', despite its pejorative connotations.

This is my journal, which, delightfully enough, doesn't have to go wherever I go, but is accessible from nearly everywhere I am.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Amusing Inquisition

I know three Robins, one of them is a co-worker, one of them is a former co-worker. Stephanie knows the two we worked with, and knows of the third. When she asked who I was going hiking with on Saturday, I told her Robin T, her boyfriend Josh, and their friend Chris. She heard Robin T but thought Robin B (a co-worker).

Yesterday she queried Robin B on how she liked the walk through Hoyt. Of course, Robin had no idea what she was talking about. Steph stopped by my desk and leaned close and said "How is it that you went hiking with Robin on Saturday but she doesn't remember?" I looked at her and asked her what she was talking about. She said she'd asked Robin B if she'd enjoyed the hike, and I stopped her there. "Robin T," I emphasized. "Ooohh," she responded, looking a bit like a cat who had been corrected and didn't care for it much.

On the drive home, she brought it up again.

"How long have you been in touch with Robin," she asked rather non-chalantly.
"We've been in touch fairly often since I saw her for my birthday," I answered.
She bristled instantly.
She asked a clarifying question, "So you met up with her on your birthday?"
And when I answered "yes", the tension-level in the cab of the truck escalated sharply.
She said, "What, did you meet her at the coast and have wild sex?" (She says she was joking, but she sounded pretty irked.)
I asked her what she was talking about. She said she thought I'd gone to the coast for my birthday to be alone, and now she finds out I went there and met up with Robin H.
Robin H left our office to go into real estate. She is a hot athletic blonde. She's also engaged to a very nice man.
I just looked incredulously at her and started laughing. I laughed until I had tears in my eyes and told her that it was amazing that we'd been together for 4 years considering we communicated so badly.
Of course, my laughing made her bristle more.
I explained that, again, she had the wrong Robin. I explained that she'd come to my birthday party, you know, the joint one for me and Lori, the one she hadn't gone to because she was sick.
Aaahhh. Lightbulb. She laughed then, too, but she looked sad.


Sometimes there are real drawbacks to living and working with your ex. Like Inquisitions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home